28 September 2012

Catch up

(Random and unnecessary side note:  Nate insists that I pronounce ketchup "catch up."  In my book, either is better than saying "catsup.")

1. Gone are the days when I could spend hours curled up with a volume of Hugo, Balzac, or Dostoevsky.  I just don't have the time, energy, or attention span for some of my favorites.  I do have energy, if not time, for books that don't require as much attention: a bit of piffle, if you will.  So I was intrigued when I saw Gone Girl popping up in numerous book reviews.  As soon as I started reading, I was hooked.  It's just the right balance of intriguing, thought provoking, and fun.

[source]
 2. Also gone is our low utility bill.  I used to keep the house at comfortable 63 degrees during the coldest months of the year.  Earlier this week when I walked into the house, damp from the pouring rain, I shivered as I read the thermostat: 65 degrees.  I promptly set the heat to 68 and basked in its warmth. 

3. Henry is a walking machine.  It's darling, really.  He is also kind of sort of talking.  This week he added "shhh" (shoe) and "ba" (ball) to his repertoire, and they aren't just random utterances  I don't want to be one of those "my child has 103 words now and those words are..." parents, but the first words certainly are exciting!

4. Fall is finally here.  Pumpkin everything is on my mind, though I have yet to pull out my measuring cups and bowls and turn on the oven to actually make something.  Maybe this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment